Castel Annaberg, Val Venosta

Church with the leaning tower - Barbiano

The church with the leaning tower - Barbian

Barbian (BZ)

The Parish church of Barbian is consecrated to St. Jacobs the Elder and was first mentioned in 1378. The shapes of the windows of the leaning tower however, are evidence to an even earlier time. Its octagonal top was added during the 15th Century. During this time, the church was renovated and once more consecrated in 1472. In 1874, the nave was re-designed and received its present New-Roman form. The vestry, which serves as choir stalls, is the only part left, to represent the old Gothic buildings. On the inside of the church, on the main altar, there is a copy of the famous crucifixion group by Wechselburg, as well as 12 glass windows representing the apostles, a rosette window just above the main entrance and several wooden sculptures from the 16th and 17th Centuries.

In Newsletter eingetragen.