Texel Group Nature Park in South Tyrol

Parish Church Unsere Liebe Frau im Moos - Vipiteno

Parish Church Unsere Liebe Frau im Moos - Sterzing

Sterzing (BZ)

This spacious church with its three naves is one of the most monumental late Gothic buildings in all Tyrol. The Romanesque church was first mentioned in a document from 1233. In 1497 the nave was added to the Gothic chancel, built between 1400 and 1456. The neo-Gothic high altar contains five figures which belonged to the former Multscher altar. A Roman gravestone (Postumia Victorina) was discovered in 1497 during excavation work on the church’s foundations. It can be seen on the northern wall of the nave.The nave is baroque in stile, while the chancel was re-Gothicised. The frescos were painted by Joseph Adalm Mölckh in1871.

In Newsletter eingetragen.